Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wedding Anniversary

Today would have been our 4th wedding anniversary.

Our wedding was the most fun day of my life (and second Best overall - second only to the day I had Max).  It was seriously perfect.  We were married at The Wequassett on Cape Cod.  It's an absolutely gorgeous place.  The weather was spectacular - after a few cold, rainy days (and followed by a few more) in the aftermath of some hurricane or other, the day of the wedding was mid-70s and sunny.  Most of my pictures aren't on this computer, but I'll share a few:

One of my favorites from the ceremony



Husband and wife




 Oops!

 Wedding party

 The Vegas table - wonder if we put the wild ones there...


 First dance - we got up there and the dance lessons did no good - he said "you have to lead!" and I did.

But he got the dip right!

 Relieved to have the first dance over with...


Silly tradition among my Swedish relatives...singing "The Pizza Hut" song...




 No formal occasion is complete without a human pyramid, right?


I remember feeling this indescribable feeling of peace during the ceremony.  It was just so perfect.  There's one picture, similar to the top one here, where my eyes are almost closed and I'm smiling at JP.  It sort of sums up the way I felt - overflowing with love and serenity.  It was a surreal sensation - breathing in the Cape air, which just has a fresh, clean, lovely quality to it; looking into his eyes and thinking "wow, we're doing this!"  Surrounded by our loved ones - a perfect start to an amazing new chapter in our lives.  

At one point during the ceremony, one of our flower girls shouted in her cute little voice, "there's an ant in my hair!" and then, "And I threw it on the ground!"  It was hilarious.  We also sort of messed up on the hand-off from my dad to JP - as soon as I got up there, JP and I kissed, which of course is not supposed to happen until the end of the ceremony.  But it just felt so right.

The reception was so fun.  It was a day wedding, so people could go outside and enjoy the weather and the gorgeous view of the harbor.  People say your wedding day is such a whirlwind that you don't remember any of it, but I remember just telling myself to breathe, take it in, and enjoy it.  And I did.  The food was great (and I ate every bite), and it was just so much fun.  As was the after-party, where our friends and younger relatives really let loose.  

The next day, we were flying back to Chicago, but stayed at my MIL's house too long watching Red Sox and Patriots games, and JP ended up missing the flight because he had to return the rental car.  The funny thing was that they had switched me to another flight originally and he called and put up a stink about it being our first flight as husband and wife...

I think back to that sunny September Saturday and all the promise it held.  We were so excited about what lay ahead.  We promised "'til death do us part," and it did, far too soon, but in so many ways I know he is still here with me.  In my heart, and in my soul, and in our little Max.  

Buddy, I love you.  And I miss you.  And I promise that September 20 will always be a day that I dedicate to remembering and honoring our life together.

1 comment: