Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Day of Reflection...

The anniversary of 9/11 was always an important one to JP.  Anyone describing him would certainly mention his patriotism in their first breath.  He loved this great country of ours.  Basically the only books he ever read were American historical accounts.  It was no wonder he worked in government affairs.  I hope that I will be able to instill in Max such a profound love of our country and those who defend it.  I will certainly try.

On this 11th anniversary of the indescribable tragedy that rocked our nation to its core, I hope that all Americans took some time to pause and reflect on what transpired that awful day, and how it has shaped us - as individuals and as a nation.  Others have said it more eloquently than I ever could, but on this anniversary I always try to sit for a moment, whether it's a minute or an hour, and think back to the events that unfurled that morning, and the shockwaves that continue to ripple through our national identity, and through the world at large.

Until about 7 months ago, I never could grasp what those who lost their loved ones experienced.  Now I think about the pain and grief I am going through, and when I try to multiply that by the thousands, it amazes me that the sheer vast and sudden explosion of grief didn't cause some sort of cosmic phenomenon: a black hole opening up in the New York sky and swallowing the entire planet; the sound barrier being broken by so many hearts being shattered at once.

Today I am awed and inspired by those survivors who did not fall to their knees, wringing their hands, and reaching for the bottle of Xanax - who instead answered the call to arms (both literally and figuratively), and went after the enemy with battle horns blaring.

Of course, for them, there was an enemy.  And I'm not saying that's better.  Or worse.  It's just different.  Sometimes I wish I had someone, something to blame.  A cause to fight or speak out against.  But at the end of the day, I'm just pointing my fingers at...bad luck?  Fate?

Anyway, I hope today was easier for those who lost someone than last year, or the year before.  I hope they are finding peace and strength in fond memories.  I hope they are living full and happy lives, and honoring the ones they lost - not just today, but every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment