Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Body of Christ Compels You

Made it through Easter, after a week of ups and downs.  And, ya know, today was a pretty good day.  I was not expecting that.

Max and I dyed eggs last night for the Easter Bunny to hide.  Now I know why they give you that little metal egg holder...I had so much dye under and around my fingernails that I had to paint them dark sparkly gray (which I'm not thrilled about, given that I have an internship interview Tuesday, but it's better than looking like I've been drilling for oil - that stuff does NOT come off).  And it wasn't a very toddler-friendly kit, but he had a great time helping.

When he woke up, I brought him out to the living room, and he saw one of the eggs and immediately said "Easter Bunny brought the egg!"  So cute.  He had a great time finding eggs with Disney characters and matchbox cars in them, but after about 10 minutes, my mom and I were ready to start giving him clues, much to my father's dismay.  I've never been a big fan of Easter egg hunts.  I guess I'm just more of an immediate gratification kinda girl...

After a nice (paleo) breakfast, we went to Easter Mass at the nearby church.  I was overdressed in my winter jacket and tights - it was so sunny and warm!  The church was beautiful, and I was so glad that I decided not to go to the one where JP's funeral was held.  Even though that one was where he and I had gone on Easter, it just makes me so sad every time I'm there.  This place was huge, crowded, and (just as my MIL promised) had wonderful music.  We were up with the instruments, so Max could see the big kettle drums, which I probably thought was cooler than he did.  He behaved perfectly during the service.  I came close to nodding off a couple times, probably because I was just trying not to think too much, but I did enjoy the music.

Next up was Crossfit.  I have to say, I love going to open gym.  Right now it's fun to watch people who are taking the Games WODs seriously, but I just like the vibe in general.  I'm getting more comfortable with figuring out what to do, what skills I want to work on, etc.  And it's fun to spend some time just seeing what people are doing.  I did something called the Filthy Fifty with a buddy, which is 50 reps each of 10 different movements:
  • box jumps
  • jumping pull ups
  • kettle bell swings
  • knees to elbows
  • walking lunges
  • push presses
  • back extensions (we subbed abmat sit ups because my hip says back extensions are a no-go, along with pretty much any exercise that would work the same muscles)
  • wall balls
  • burpees
  • double unders
It felt good to just do some hard work, and not think.

After, I stuck around and then worked on trying for muscle up number 2 on the rings.  I got it.  Nearly dislocated my thumb in the process, but it happened.  Definitely a fun skill to work on, despite the fact that my wrists and palms are a bit raw...

The rest of the afternoon was dedicated to homework and cooking.  Trader Joe's, Martha Stewart and I make a good team for Easter dinner - I'm just sayin'.  If you are what you eat, I am a lamb right now.  And Max is a bowl of mint jelly.

Max continued to be super cute all day, saying "Happy Easter Bunny to you" and talking about how the Easter Bunny rides a motorcycle (one of the toys from his eggs).  Man, that kid is a cutie!

And when it was time for him to go to bed, my mom had him, and he reached for me and said "mama sing."  That was the highlight of my day, for sure.

But as nice as today was, I am just happy to check off another holiday.  I know there's always going to be another rough spot on the horizon, but hopefully for a little while, I can just have a slice of normal.  Now, time to celebrate getting through today with a little wine and Game of Thrones. 





No comments:

Post a Comment