Saturday, March 30, 2013

Fantastic Friday

Yesterday I was on a mission to beat the blues.  It was Good Friday and dag nab it, I was going to have a good Friday.  I felt like I was letting things get to me too much on Thursday.  So I was going to turn my frown upside down.

Max had a decent swimming class.  Not his best, but he had a good time, and is enjoying it SO much more than he used to.  I'm not a huge fan of having to stand around before class with all the parents who are there watching older kids, while I'm there with no pants on.  And I don't love that Max can unlock and open the changing room door (the whole locker room area is coed, upping the ante on the risk factor).  I also don't love spending 30 minutes in a pool that I know is full of pee, but that's the deal with kiddie swim classes, of course.  I just pretend that chlorine is akin to magic and pretend I don't know what's in the water when I demo blowing bubbles for Max.

My big moment was at Crossfit.  The Games WOD wasn't my best - I didn't do it at Rx, and my scaled down weight was plenty heavy for me.  I figured that it would be a better idea to get more work in and not aggravate my hip further, and not be worried about failing on the lifts (probably a good call since already when I went to PT after, my hips were way out of alignment).  After the workout, I wanted to get on the rings and work on muscle ups (going from hanging on rings, or a bar, to supporting yourself above them, or it).  We'd been working on them in gymnastics class, and they had been in a previous Games WOD, and I have been wanting to get one for a long time.  I had made them my goal for 2013.  I was close on Thursday night, and I was determined to keep trying until it happened.  After a couple kinda sorta close-to-almost-there attempts, and lots of feedback from the folks in the box who "have" them, I gave myself a deadline of 20 minutes (when I would have to go to PT for my hip).  I taped up my hand, having ripped some skin on the last attempt, and hopped back up.  And I did it!  It was not pretty, but it happened.  In the grand scheme of things, having muscle ups is Not a Big Deal.  But it's a goal I had set for myself, and I had been wanting it so badly.  And in the week before a holiday, hitting a goal like that was a serious win for me.  It erased a lot of the blah I'd been feeling.  It was great to have it happen when a good number of my CF buddies and coaches were there, too.  I pretty much had perma-grin for the rest of the day.

Now I can't wait to get back on the rings and make sure that one wasn't a fluke...and start stringing them together!

Here is what it looks like when a legit athlete does muscle ups, for those of you who aren't familiar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcnpJSAsbo



No comments:

Post a Comment