Saturday, December 1, 2012

Shake it Like a Polaroid Picture

December was not off to a good start for me.  Last night I went out for a friend's birthday, which we all thought was also going to be a "Congrats on getting engaged" party until she walked in and said "hi, I'm not engaged."  Being the good pals we are, we proceeded to interrogate her boyfriend and demand that he speed up his popping-the-question timeline.  Did I mention that a couple of us had never met him?  Yeah, he must think we are crazy bitches.

Anyway, my plan to have a few beers and head home early turned into staying out late and consuming massive amounts of champagne.  When November rolled over into December, I was deep in conversation about travel with a very nice guy to whom I may have given the wrong idea.

Woke up this morning with a throbbing headache.  Champagne gets me every time.  I think the only time I have escaped the Champagne headache was when I got married.  And wouldn't you know - this morning my dad was working in the suburbs and my mom had to drive him because we needed the car to take Max to the pediatrician.  So the one morning when I'm on solo Max duty, I feel like my brain is about to start leaking out of my ears.  Fortunately, he slept until 8, and by then the Advil had kicked in.

So Max is going through a serious attachment phase.  But he's not attached to me - he's attached to my parents.  Whenever he's with me, he screams and cries.  This, as you can imagine, makes me feel just wonderful.  Not only do I not get to spend time with my toddler, but when I do, he's in tears.  Because he hates me.  I mean, I know that's not true, and soon I will be on a break from school and can focus on spending time with him.  We have lots of fun things planned for my winter break, so that will be good.

I spent the afternoon at school, working on my statistics case study.  Not fun.  Especially since I felt like a zombie.  Even after a coffee, I fell asleep on the desk, and woke up literally drooling on the floor.  But I got as close to finishing as I could, so at least it was productive.

Things took a turn for the better when I went to my friend's Zumbathon, benefiting the American Brain Tumor Association - in honor of her husband, who passed away in March.  It was a great event!  Lots of people came, there were 9 different instructors keeping everyone moving for an hour and a half.  I had an absolute blast.  It was fun seeing some different styles from my regular class, and everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves.  I don't know when the last time was that I sweat so much!  I mean, I'm sure it happens in Crossfit, but I was Dripping.  And for the cool down, she did "Some Nights," which of course got me a bit teary, but she was amazing, smile on her face, and I know that her husband was watching her and being so incredibly proud of her.  Melissa, you are truly an inspiration.

So now I will conclude the first day of December with some studying for my final on Monday.  Good times.

And I'll leave you with the song lyrics:

Some Nights - by fun.

Some nights, I stay up cashing in my bad luck
Some nights, I call it a draw

Some nights, I wish that my lips could build a castle
Some nights, I wish they'd just fall off

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure, what I stand for oh oh oh
What do I stand for? Oh what do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know anymore
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa oh oh
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa oh oh

This is it, boys, this is war, what are we waiting for?
Why don't we break the rules already?
I was never one to believe the hype, 
Save that for the black and white I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked, 
But here they come again to jack my style

That's alright, I found a martyr in my bed tonight
Stops my bones from wondering just who I, who I, who I am, oh who am I, mm, mm

Well some nights, I wish that this all would end
'Cause I could use some friends for a change
And some nights, I'm scared you'll forget me again
Some nights, I always win, I always win

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for, oh
What do I stand for? Oh what do I stand for? Most nights, I don't know (come on)

So this is it? I sold my soul for this?
Washed my hands of that for this?
I miss my mom and dad for this?
No. When I see stars, when I see stars, that's all they are
When I hear songs, they sound like a swan, so come on
Oh, come on, oh, come on, oh come on!

Well that is it, guys, that is all, five minutes in and I'm bored again
Ten years of this, I'm not sure if anybody understands
This is not one for the folks at home, I'm sorry to leave, mom, I had to go
Who the fuck wants to die alone all dried up in the desert sun?
My heart is breaking for my sister and the con that she called "love"
But when I look into my nephew's eyes,
Man you wouldn't believe, the most amazing things, that can come from,
Some terrible nights, ah (oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa, oh oh)

Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa, oh oh
Oh whoa, oh whoa, oh whoa, oh oh

The other night, you wouldn't believe the dream I just had about you and me
I called you up, but we'd both agree
It's for the best you didn't listen
It's for the best we get our distance, oh
It's for the best you didn't listen
It's for the best we get our distance, oh



No comments:

Post a Comment